|A private class at the Gray Goose Cookery!|
Made these for a private class of 13 women a week or so ago. All are excellent, but the Chimichurri Provolone Toasts and the cold Mango Peach soup were the stand outs!
Dan’s Killer Guacamole
· 3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
· 1 lime, juiced
· 1 tbs zest from lime
· 1 tsp kosher salt
· 1/2 cup minced shallot
· 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
· 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced fine
· 1 teaspoon minced garlic
· 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice and zest, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Porcini, Scallion and Parmesan Risotto (serves 3 dinner portions)
Ø ¾ cup risotto rice
Ø 1 small shallot, diced
Ø 2 small cloves fresh garlic, diced
Ø 3 tbs butter
Ø 5 cups (or so, as needed) chicken broth
Ø 1 small bunch Scallions sliced thin
Ø 1 pkg Porcini Mushrooms, sliced
Ø ¾ cup Fresh Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Risotto: In a 3 qt sauce pan, melt butter, add fresh garlic and shallots. Sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes or so. Do NOT brown. ENJOY one of the top ten smells on the planet – shallots and garlic cooking in butter.
- Slowly add raw rice, stirring constantly, until all butter is absorbed – only a minute or two, again; do NOT brown.
- Add about ½ cup broth mixture, stirring with a whisk constantly. Add Mushrooms at this point. As liquid is absorbed, SLOWLY ad chix broth about ½ cup stirring untill 75% of the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Stir CONSTANTLY – that is the trick to this rice. Keep adding broth mixture a little at a time. After about 20 min, taste small samples – should be al dente – NOT crunchy! Finished rice will be VERY creamy.
Add Scallions, and Parmesan cheese – stir until melted and serve
Cold Peach and Mango Soup Shooters (Serves 12)
1 Ripe Yellow Peach, pitted and cut into chunks
1 Ripe Mango, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
¾ cup Buttermilk
½ cup Orange Juice
½ tsp Kosher Salt
Pinch Cayenne Pepper ( to taste)
12 Fresh Cilantro Leaves
1) Zest the limes, set zest aside. Juice the limes to yield 3 tbs juice.
2) In a blender/food processor, combine, the lime juice, peach, mango, buttermilk, orange juice salt and cayenne and process until very smooth.
3) Transfer the soup to a container, and chill for at least 2 hours.
4) Serve chilled with cilantro leaf and some lime zest.
Dans Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce: (Serves 6 dinner portions)
In a large stainless bowl:
· 1lb fresh crab meat ( I use claw – it’s fine, and it’s not worth spending 10 bucks more for lump – really doesn’t make that much of a difference)
· 4 cloves garlic minced
· 1 shallot minced
· 3/4 cup frozen tri color pepper strips, minced when frozen
· 2 tbs butter
· (combine last 4 ingredients in a fry pan, and saute till translucent, then add to bowl with crab meat)
· 1/4 cup mayo
· 1 egg, beaten in a cup
· 2 tsp dill
· 3/4 cup parm cheese
· 3/4 cup bread crumbs
· 3 tbs old bay seasoning
· 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
· 1/4 tsp ( to taste ) cayenne
· 3/4 tsp garlic powder
· 3/4 tsp celery salt
· 1 cup panko bread crumbs
Mix mixture in bowl until will mixed. Let stand for an hour or so to let flavors blend. When ready to cook, use 6 or 7 tbs of lite olive oil, and heat in fry pan till simmering. While heating, form cakes into 3inch wide, by about 3/4 inch high patties. Put panko crumbs on a plate, and coat each patty with the panko crumbs. Fry for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy. I often mix black pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese in with the crumbs. Serve hot with Remoulade or Tartar sauce. Serves 4.
Dan’s Remoulade Sauce:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine:
· 3/4 cup mayo
· 2 tbs dijon mustard
· 1 tsp paprika
· 2 tsp horse radish
· 2 tbs chopped bread and butter pickles
· 1.5 tsp tobasco
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1.5 tbs capers, minced
· 2 shakes Worcestershire
· 2 tbs lemon juice
Whisk all ingredients together, and let sit in the fridge for at least one hour to blend flavors.
Five Spice Cold Crab Salad Cocktails (serves 4)
· ½ Cup Mayo
· 2 tsp Lemon Juice (to taste)
· ½ tsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder
· 12 oz Cooked Crab Meat
· ¼ Cup Rough Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley, some leaves for garnish
· 2 Tbs minced Shallot
· In a small bowl, combine mayo, lemon juice and 5 spice powder. Set aside
· In medium bowl, combine the crab chopped parsley and shallot. Add about 2 tbs of mayo mixture and combine. Season with more lemon juice if needed.
Serve in decorative glasses.
Chimichurri Provolone Toasts ( serves about 6)
¼ Cup EVOO
2 tbs red wine vinegar
15 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsely
3 sprigs fresh oregano….. or ½ tsp dried
3 cloves garlic
½ chipotle pepper from can in adobo sauce
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup shredded Provolone cheese
In a food processor, combine evoo, vinegar, parsley, oregano, garlic, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper and process to form a pest-like sauce. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Slice baguette into ¼ inch slices on a bias and bake until just starting to brown, about 10 minutes, turning half way through. Remove from oven, sprinkle evenly with cheese, and bake until cheese is warm and melted – about 3 minutes.
Add dollop of chimichuri and serve warm.